Group-based Inequality and Political Behavior
1. Suryanarayan. 2019. “When do the poor vote for the right-wing and why: Hierarchy and vote choice in the Indian states”. Comparative Political Studies 52(2). You can read the paper here.
- Winner of the “Worth a Thousand Words” contest, Fall 2017, The Political Economist, APSA Political Economy Newsletter.
- The article was featured in The Print, The Hindu, and Live Mint.
2. Huber, John D. & Pavithra Suryanarayan. 2016. “Ethnic Inequality and the Ethnification of Political Parties: Evidence from India.” World Politics 68(1). You can read the paper here
3. “Slavery, Reconstruction, and Bureaucratic Capacity in the American South” with Steven White. Revise & Resubmit. American Political Science Review. You can read the draft here.
4. “Hollowing out the State: Franchise Expansion and Fiscal Capacity in Colonial India” (under review). You can read the draft here
- Winner of the Mancur Olson Award for the best dissertation in political economy in the previous two years, American Political Science Association 2018
5. “Economic and Ethnic Dimensions of Trade Preferences: Evidence from India” with Nikhar Gaikwad. You can read the draft here.
- Winner of the Franklin L. Burdette/Pi Sigma Alpha Award for the best paper presented in the previous year’s annual meeting, American Political Science Association 2019.
- The paper was featured in the New York Times Interpreter column and Live Mint.
Bureaucratic Capacity and Voting Behavior
1. “Bureaucratic Capacity and Class Voting: Evidence from Across the World and the United States” with Kimuli Kasara.” Journal of Politics. Forthcoming. You can read the draft here.
2. Kasara, Kimuli and Pavithra Suryanarayan. 2015.“When do the Rich Vote Less than the Poor and Why?: Explaining Turnout Inequality across the World,” American Journal of Political Science 59(3): 613-627. You can read the paper here
- Winner of the GESIS Klingemann Prize for best CSES scholarship, 2016.
- The article was featured in the Monkey Cage and the Daily Dish.
Party Organization and Party Systems in the Indian States
1. Jensenius, Francesca Refsum and Pavithra Suryanarayan 2015. “Fragmentation and Decline in India’s State Assemblies: A Review 1967 – 2007,” Asian Survey 55(5).
2. Chhibber, Pradeep, Francesca Refsum Jensenius and Pavithra Suryanarayan. 2014. “Party Organization and Party Proliferation in India,” Party Politics 20(4): 489-505.
3. Jensenius, Francesca Refsum and Pavithra Suryanarayan. “Electoral Switching in Indian Elections. Revise & Resubmit. Party Politics.
4. Jensenius, Francesca Refsum and Pavithra Suryanarayan. “Party System Institutionalization and Economic Voting: Evidence from India” with Francesca Jensenius. You can read the draft here.